Saint Nicholas of Myrna was a bishop in the fourth century. His life and legends inspired many family traditions around Christmas time including Santa Claus and hanging stockings.
Teach your kids about the life and legend of the real Saint Nicholas with some of these activities and printable worksheets.
Saint Nicholas Biography and Reflection Questions
Feast Day: December 6
Saint Nicholas was the bishop of Myra (modern-day Turkey) in the fourth century. Very little is known about his life as a bishop, but many miracles have been attributed to his intercession and many stories have been passed down about his deeds.
One thing is certain, Saint Nicholas is known for his generosity. After his parents died, Saint Nicholas gave away all his inheritance to the poor.
Then there was a man in Myra with three beautiful daughters. In the ancient world a father needed to give money to the men who married his daughters. This money was called a dowry. Without a dowry, the girls would have to become slaves to make ends meet. This man didn’t have any money and he didn’t think he would ever be able to help his daughters get married.
St. Nicholas heard about the family’s troubles, but the man refused to receive any gifts from him. So, Saint Nicholas came to the man’s house at night with a bag full of gold. Stockings were hung by the fire to dry throughout the night. Saint Nicholas threw the gold through the window and they miraculously landed inside the stockings. With this gold the daughters were finally able to get married.
This story is the reason many Christians today still set shoes out on Saint Nicholas Day and hang stockings on their fireplaces for Christmas.
Saint Nicholas Reflection Questions
- What are your favorite Saint Nicholas, Santa Claus, and Christmas traditions?
- How can you help the poor and needy during the Advent and Christmas seasons?
- In what other ways can you be as generous as Saint Nicholas?
Download the Saint Nicholas Biography Worksheet
Get your copy of a Saint Nicholas worksheet with this biography and reflection questions here:
Saint Nicholas Activities for Catholic Classrooms and Families
Here are some of the best faith-based activities to teach about Saint Nicholas:
- St. Nicholas Prayer (Loyola Press)
- St. Nicholas Pre-schooler Crafts (The Kennedy Adventures)
- St. Nicholas Activities and Prayer Service (Sadlier)
- St. Nicholas Ideas, Printables, and More! (Catholic Icing)
- Celebrating St. Nicholas (Catholic Digest)
- St. Nicholas Classroom Activities (St. Nicholas Center)
- St. Nicholas Feast Day Traditions (Koala Mom)
- Meet Saint Nicholas (Teaching Catholic Kids)
- Celebrating St. Nicholas Day (Blessed Is She)