An article was released on Wednesday by http://www.uscatholic.org/ on the various efforts to breathe life into financially troubled Catholic Schools. Click here to read Sarah Karp’s article titled “Final Exam: Can we reinvent Catholic schools?” Also for a more detailed explanation of the topics, read the Thomas B. Fordham Institute’s publication by Scott Hamilton titled, Who Will Save America’s Urban Catholic Schools?
Topics of this article include:
- Causes for Concern – school closures, dropping enrollment
- NativityMiguel School Network
- Cristo Rey Schools Network
- Conversion of Catholic schools into charter schools in Washington, D.C.
- The Archdiocese of Wichita’s tithing program
- The Diocese of Phoenix’s use of the Arizona school tax credit
- Attracting Latino families to Catholic schools
- Catholic schools vs. charter school competition
- Aggressive Marketing of Catholic Schools
Also of interest: check out the great work the Alliance for Catholic Education at the University of Notre Dame (see Who Will Save America’s Urban Catholic Schools? pages 98-14) and two other University/parish school partnerships: ACE’s Magnificat schools and Boston College’s partnership with St. Columbkille school.